While he only has 4 holds (and 1 save) on the year, Amir Garrett has still been one of the more dominant relievers on the season with his swing and miss ability. His 18.2% SwStr rate ranks 10th amongst all qualified relievers, plus 2.48 SIERA, and 31% K-BB rate rank 11th. And all of his holds have all come since August 20th, with the 4 holds being the 8th highest amongst relievers since that date. The overall numbers might not scream elite, and the Reds do have a tough stretch run (White Sox, Brewers, Twins) but I still believe Garrett is a top ten option for the last week and a half of the season.
- One of my favorite sleeper RP’s entering the season, Yimi Garcia missed some time after testing positive for Covid-19 but has since returning has been one of the leagues better relievers. He’s established himself as the Marlins best reliever and could get a chance to close out games next season.
- Jesse Hahn led all relievers this past week with 3 holds, however, I’m still skeptical on if he makes for a good stretch run play as some of his peripherals are worrisome. A 13% BB rate, .143 BABIP, and 91% LOB rate may be a recipe for disaster, although the Royals schedule isn’t exactly tough, as they get the Brewers, Cardinals, and Tigers to end the year.
- Matt Andriese picked up a pair of saves this weekend and could be in a committee with Ty Buttrey as the Angels closer. In their most recent appearance, however, Andriese worked the 8th inning with Buttrey pitching the 9th, so Buttrey should be the favorite for saves the rest of the way.
- With Tanner Rainey and Sean Doolittle landing on the IL recently, the Nationals have been relying on Wander Suero and Kyle McGowin to pick up the slack, and each one has responded. Over the past two weeks, Suero has 4 holds while striking out 6 and allowing just 1 ER and 4 baserunners. McGowin has just 2 holds (plus a win), but 12 K’s while allowing o runs and just one hit.
- JoJo Romero has been a revelation for the Phillies bullpen, despite all the moves they made at the deadline. The rookie lefthander has picked up 4 holds over the past two weeks and is currently one of if not the team’s best set up option.
Photo by Brian Rothmuller/Icon Sportswire | Adapted by Justin Paradis (@freshmeatcomm on Twitter)