Thursday has arrived and with it comes updated setup men rankings. This is a great day for hold leagues, and therefore the world. These rankings are an attempt at quantifying a mixture of both short term and rest of season value. The formula isn’t concrete but it considers general ratio and strikeout potential + pure hold totals and potential. Holds are pretty volatile so in most cases your best bet is to focus on ratios, take advantage of the RP + P slots by rolling out a hefty number of setup men, and let the holds naturally trickle in. Managers should always make decisions and alter this list based on their specific league setup.
Please do share your questions and critiques in the comments. Follow me on twitter @HisDudenessOfNY for the rare tweet regarding secondary players most people don’t care about and the occasional timely injury news snippet.
9. Hector Neris (Philadelphia Phillies)
12. Seung Hwan Oh (St. Louis Cardinals)
17. Felipe Rivero (Washington Nationals)
20. Darren O’Day (Baltimore Orioles)
33. Pedro Baez (Los Angeles Dodgers)
43. Bryan Shaw (Cleveland Indians)
58. Carlos Estévez (Colorado Rockies)
60. Oliver Perez (Washington Nationals)
63. Xavier Cedeño (Tampa Bay Rays)
66. Zach McAllister (Cleveland Indians)
72. Jose Alvarez (Los Angeles Angels)
– Yimi Garcia (Los Angeles Dodgers)
– Felipe Rivero had a quick hiatus down in the gutter but he has 5 holds the last couple weeks and the ratio/strikeout upside is still there.
– Ken Giles finally settling down. Supposedly he fixed a mechanical flaw.
– I know Kevin Siegrist still doesn’t have many holds but the opps will come.
– Kyle Barraclough is still rocking a crazy strikeout rate but he simply walks too many batters. The upside is still tantalizing but he is a lotto ticket that is trending down.
– The Tigers pen is still a mess but our old friend Mark Lowe has been the only reliable setup man recently. Wrote him off a couple weeks ago but I’m a fan if he can regain his 2015 form.
– Replace Trevor May if you haven’t already. He has big upside but not necessary to exhibit that much patience for a backend setup man.