(Photo by Shelley Lipton/Icon Sportswire)
Every Friday I look at every projected two-start pitcher for the week ahead and detail my thoughts about rolling with them on your roster. There are four tiers: Definitely, Probably, Questionable, Bench. Definitely Start features starters that are no doubters for the week ahead followed by Probably Start with pitchers that look like good plays but may create a hesitation or two. Players labeled as Questionable are for deeper leagues or have one-of-two outings that should be skipped. Pitchers under Bench should be avoided despite their two starts in the week ahead.
Note: This article was written Friday morning, estimating probable starters through the week. These are subject to change.
Zack Greinke (STL, SDP)
Robbie Ray (STL, SDP)
Corey Kluber (@KCR, OAK)
Max Scherzer (BOS, MIA)
- Two of the very elite + two great arms against terrible lineups. Easy stuff here.
Madison Bumgarner (@COL, STL)
Carlos Martinez (@ARI, @SFG)
Rick Porcello (@WSH, @KCR)
Alex Wood (PIT, @LAA)
Kyle Gibson (@MIL, BAL)
Dallas Keuchel (@TEX, CHW)
Jack Flaherty (@ARI, @SFG)
Nathan Eovaldi (@MIA, @NYM)
Andrew Heaney (@SEA, LAD)
Nick Kingham? (@LAD, PHI)
Domingo German (ATL, @TOR)
- You may want Madison Bumgarner in the top tier, but are we incredibly confident in a night in Coors? I’m a little hesitant, bring him down to the second tier.
- Carlos Martinez looked excellent for the first time since his DL stint, though a date with the Diamondbacks gives me pause. I’d still roll him for both, but he doesn’t get top tier status because of it.
- For a discount option, Nathan Eovaldi is a great play, getting two terrible lineups in the Marlins and Mets, just after he dominated the Nationals.
- Even with Dallas Keuchel’s recent struggles, he still deserves a start given the Rangers and ChiSox ahead.
- The upside of Domingo German makes him a considerable Tier 2 option, where he could win your week with his start against the Jays. I’m not a huge fan of the start against the Braves, but it’s not enough to turn away.
- Alright, I’m guessing that Nick Kingham is taking Chad Kuhl’s spot in the rotation, which would give Kingham a two-start week against the Dodgers and Phillies. I’m all for it, even with the hot Dodger offense as Kingham could be a Top 50 starter ROS if handed the #5 role in Pittsburgh.
Jake Odorizzi (@MIL, BAL)
Junior Guerra (MIN, ATL)
Michael Fulmer (@CHC, TEX)
Mike Fiers (@TOR, TEX)
Sean Newcomb (@NYY, @MIL)
Wade Leblanc (LAA, COL)
Kyle Freeland (SFG, @SEA)
Luis Castillo (CHW, @CHC)
Brent Suter (MIN, ATL)
- I heavily debated if Luis Castillo deserves the spot, though he should be able to take care of the White Sox with ease, with a chance that the Cubs start doesn’t ruin his spoils.
- Jake Odorizzi goes through hot and cold spells, and it’s possible he spins two solid starts this week – at the very least against the Orioles.
- A decent desperate play may be Brent Suter…if he gets both starts as Zach Davies may be returning to the Brewers rotation soon and possibly kick out Suter.
- The Rockies are bad on the road and the Angels are just…bad, opening the door for Wade LeBlanc to rebound and help this week.
- Believe it or not, Mike Fiers has somehow been decent over the past month, and with mediocre lineups, he can be considered as a desperate option.
Elieser Hernandez (TBR, @WSH)
Jakob Junis (CLE, BOS)
James Shields (@CIN, @HOU)
Anibal Sanchez (@NYY, @MIL)
Blaine Hardy (@TOR, TEX)
Lucas Giolito (@CIN, @HOU)
Chris Stratton (@COL, STL)
Wei-Yin Chen (TBR, @WSH)
Clayton Richard (@OAK, @ARI)
Alex Cobb (@PHI, @MIN)
Austin-Bibens Dirkx (HOU, @DET)
Tanner Roark (BOS, MIA)
- A lot of names here that should be left on the wire, especially with tough matchups ahead.
- Clayton Richard has gotten plenty of attention in fantasy circles, but his lack of upside mixed with a date in Arizona makes this easy to turn away.
- I’m all for the start against Miami, but an evening with the Red Sox makes me reconsider Tanner Roark for this week, especially with his poor performances over the last month.
Your opinion of Derreck Rodriquez? Picked him up this week in Free Agent Grab. Did I make a mistake? Have any upside this year or next year? Thanks