The Hold Up 4/12: Ranking the Top 80 Relievers for Holds Every Thursday
|-||A. J. Minter||9||9||9|
Today we will take look at the updated non-closer reliever market as there are some changes to the list since our previous installment. Keep in mind, just because a player is ranked below another player (especially when in the same tier), that doesn’t mean you should rush to drop the higher ranked player. These rankings are mostly to be used on a tier by tier scale and apply towards the pitcher’s value for the rest of the season.
- I think this new top-tier trio (Andrew Miller, Josh Hader, Archie Bradley) have established themselves above the rest of the pack to start the season. I know its early, but their combination of usage, low ratios, and strikeout upside make them elite RP options in hold formats.
- I’m loving Brad Peacock’s usage so far this season as it looks as if he is locked into a setup role and is quite possibly next in line for saves also. He’s been throwing his slider 56% of the time, which is a major plus considering the number of swings and misses he gets with it. Not out of the question he gets bumped up to tier 1 in the next week or so.
- Also throwing their slider more and reaping the rewards so far to begin the season is Adam Ottavino. He’s also seen a ton of swings and misses with it and now is up to 16 K’s over 8 innings while only allowing 3 baserunners on the year. I think he is back to being the pitcher we expected him to be a year ago.
- I’ve been impressed with Yoshi Hirano to begin the year, despite the lack of strikeouts. He’s been mixing up his fastball and splitter at about an even 50/50 split, which is keeping hitters off balance and limiting hard contact. I think based on the effectiveness of his splitter, he could wind up being close to a strikeout an inning guy this season.
- Tommy Kahnle’s velocity is way down to begin the year (3 MPH on the FB and SL, CU is the same), and it wouldn’t be surprising to see a DL stint for him soon. I still believe in the talent, but until we see his stuff improve, he’s really hard to trust right now.