May was a big month for pitchers. Mike Fiers threw another no-hitter, and other pitchers are starting to come to full form. Most importantly, some absurd GIFs emerged in May. So ridiculous that the list of honorable mentions from this month probably would have made most other tournaments in the past. Now it’s time to crown the best pitching GIF of them all from May.
The best 16 from May were pulled aside. Eight were eliminated on Tuesday. Four more were knocked out on Wednesday. Thursday set the stage for Friday’s finals. Now it’s on you, the voter, to crown a champion. Here are the rules:
- All GIFs were pulled from the month of May.
- You can only vote on a matchup once, so make sure you pick the one you absolutely want.
- Voting will continue until 12:00 a.m. eastern the following morning. This is the final round.
Here are the results from Round 1:
1. Chaz Roe’s Slider defeated 8. Marcus Stroman’s Changeup
7. Zach Wheeler’s Slider defeated 2. Gerrit Cole’s Curveball
3. Chris Sale’s Slider defeated 6. Justin Verlander’s Curveball
4. Chaz Roe’s Slider 2.0 defeated 5. Homer Bailey’s Splitter
1. Adam Ottavino’s Slider defeated 8. Justin Verlander’s Fastball
7. Kyle Hendricks‘ Changeup defeated 2. Jordan Hicks‘ Fastball
6. Trevor Bauer’s Curveball defeated 3. Joakim Soria’s Curveball
5. Jose Alvarado’s 2-Seamer defeated 4. Zack Greinke’s Curveball
Here are the results from Round 2:
Here are the results from Round 3:
Here is the final matchup:
Watch the GIFs in the Links Below!
What a matchup. In one corner, you’ve got the underdog Kyle Hendricks with his sick changeup. Guaranteed, if he wins, he calls out the bracket committee for doubting him from Day 1. Before making any victory speeches, Hendricks has to go through this tournament’s No. 1 overall seed: Chaz Roe’s slider. One pitch runs like Phoebe on Friends, the other broke harder than Wade Wilson’s foot when he tried to spin-kick Colossus in Deadpool. There is no wrong answer, but there will be a loser. Because if you ain’t first, you’re last.
Which was the better pitch? Vote to decide which pitch wins the tournament!