[pitcher_list list_id=”21231″ season=”2018″ include_stats=”1″]
Welcome to The List – The weekly top 100 rankings of starting pitchers in fantasy baseball for the rest of the season. Use this list to help make choices on the waiver wire and as a tool to gauge trade value in your fantasy leagues. These rankings are made with 5×5 H2H standard 12-team leagues in mind.
Let’s talk about how the SP landscape has changed since last week:
- So Clayton Kershaw is hurt again and I’ve decided to change the “at the end” injury block a bit. For now, there are a collection of names to consider stashing, but guys like Kershaw, Robbie Ray, Carlos Rodon and Shelby Miller are getting mixed among the group instead of simply slotted at the end.
- I’ve already given the AGA term to Blake Snell and he’s comfortably in the Top 15 now, with Carlos Carrasco taking a bit of a dive with Charlie Morton.
- Jumps inside the Top 50 include Eduardo Rodriguez, Jameson Taillon, Michael Wacha, and Jack Flaherty. Erod’s getting comfortable with consistent strikeouts and without the bad luck holding back his ratios, Taillon’s new slider is everything he needs and could continue climbing, Wacha is on a roll as hot as anyone (even if I don’t think it’ll last that long), and Flaherty has job security with Alex Reyes out for an extended period of time.
- Ross Stripling and Mike Foltynewicz have continued their hot streaks as well, granting spots well inside the Top 60.
- The uncertainty of teammates Mike Soroka and Luiz Gohara have forced me to lower their ranks, though that can change quickly in the coming weeks.
- Marco Gonzales should have been here last week around 75-80. Sorry about that.
- Joining The List this week are Jaime Barria (Possible Toby?), Julio Teheran (hot/cold), Nathan Eovaldi (back from DL and could be a Toby), and Steven Matz (maybe turning it around whiff rate wise).
- Leaving The List this are Chase Anderson, Jeremy Hellickson, Dan Straily, Zach Eflin, Ervin Santana, and Mike Minor. It’s always tough figuring out who to knock off, with each of these options just outside the Top 100. Anderson and Minor could find themselves back in the near future if they showcase their upside, Straily and Eflin are desperate streaming options, while Hellickson is hurt and Santana had a setback in his rehab.
Luis Castillo crashed and burned this week on the list. What did you see in his last outing that made you think he’s not a top 40 starter? I just traded Quintana and Reynaldo for him so I’m trying to be optimistic
In a standard, season-long roto league (QS, K, ERA, WHIP) would you rather have Thor or Cole ROS? And Morton or Kershaw ROS?
With Rodon and Miller making your mention of potential stashes, which would you prefer ROS? And would their ceilings warrant dropping Castillo for them from a long-term (second half and fantasy playoffs) point of view
Would you drop Reynaldo Lopez for Rodon? Maybe Rodon puts it together finally with his control? Lopez is my last pitcher easily could drop him for someone with more upside
I need to drop a pitcher to pick up a hitter-
Its down to T. Ross or A. Wood. Which is the keeper?
What’s Junis gotta do to get above the Castillo’s and Manaea’s of the world? Was expecting a bigger jump after his last start and the positive write up.
My top 3 SP are Sale, Severino and Bumgarner with a bunch of top 75 guys rounding out my staff. Proposed Mikolas for Gennett earlier today and it was accepted within minutes. Did I give up too much or is that a fair price? Thoughts on Hoskins for Buehler?
I want to know if there’s hope for a Hoskins bounce back too 😩
While you have your shovel out….to bury Castillo….might as well take the other guy, who you put your neck out on the line for….Godley. You need to turn this around quickly Nick. Not looking very good here…#40 and #55 respectively. Ouch…they’re both drops not even streamers any longer.
Hard to know if this is sustainable with Wacha. While we could point to xFIP, SIERA…ect, his changeup and cutter are arguably performing at their best so far in his career. He is really starting to lay off the fastball, and if he maintains the feel of his off-speed pitches, I could see a ‘good’ Gio year out of him in 2018.
I was just offered this trade. Would you do it
I would get Bauer & Hader and I would give up Mikolas & Quintana
Is ERod and Kershaw for Cole a fair trade?
5×5 Roto with QS instead of wins. I realize I could just look at your list but given this slight change in category, who would be your bottom two out of this list? Porcello, Bundy, Godley, Manaea, Newcomb, Ross, Soroka and Kingham. I have Rhys and Acuna coming off DL and 2 SPs have to go.
Hi Nick. I’d like some advice on updating my SP in a 10 T, 5×5. I currently have Sale, Kluber, Nola, Ray (DL), Cueto (DL), Heaney, Flaherty. These are the SP’s that recently became available via frustrated owners Darvish, Keuchel, Archer, Taillon, Nelson, Fulmer, Godley. Any of these guys worth a swap out? Thx! Love your site.