After I ranked the Top 30 Closers and Top 70 Relievers for Holds, it’s now time to put the lists together for all of you in Saves+Holds leagues. Which if you haven’t taken part in one yet, I highly recommend giving it a shot. Middle relievers were always the only players in baseball that constantly got ignored in fantasy baseball. The inclusion of the holds stat has changed all of that and added a whole different dimension to the fantasy baseball experience.
3. Edwin Diaz (Seattle Mariners)
4. Zach Britton (Baltimore Orioles)
5. Andrew Miller (Cleveland Indians)
6. Seung Hwan Oh (St. Louis Cardinals)
7. Mark Melancon (San Francisco Giants)
15. Alex Colome (Tampa Bay Rays)
16. Cody Allen (Cleveland Indians)
Even when combing holds and saves, I still lean towards closers. Andrew Miller and Dellin Betances are the exceptions, as they help in every other category as well. Realistically, Miller can be in the RP1 discussion here, but somewhere in the 3-8 range seems more reasonable.
17. A.J. Ramos (Miami Marlins)
18. Fransisco Rodriguez (Detroit Tigers)
24. Hector Neris (Philadelphia Phillies)
38. Raisel Iglesias (Cincinnati Reds)
Reed is someone I’d be targeting early in these leagues. Even if Jeurys Familia somehow isn’t suspended early in the season, he is still a great holds option. Overall there is a lot of K upside in this group. I’d be happy with ending up with one guy from tier one and 2 from this tier in deep SV+HD leagues.
39. Hector Rondon (Chicago Cubs)
43. Pedro Baez (Los Angeles Dodgers)
45. Felipe Rivero (Pittsburgh Pirates)
46. Derek Law (San Francisco Giants)
48. Arodys Vizcaino (Atlanta Braves)
56. Xavier Cedeno (Tampa Bay Rays)
57. Will Smith (San Francisco Giants)
59. Darren O’Day (Baltimore Orioles)
Matt Strahm will have extra value to those in deeper leagues as someone you can use in a SP slot. I think he has a legitimate chance to be the Royals primary set-up man too, after Joakim Soria struggled for much of last season. Even this deep into the list, I’m perfectly fine with Darren O’Day or Jason Grilli as my potential 5th RP.
63. Hunter Strickland (San Francisco Giants)
67. Joaquin Benoit (Philadelphia Phillies)
68. Jeanmar Gomez (Philadelphia Phillies)
69. Michael Lorenzen (Cincinnati Reds)
73. Cory Knebel (Milwaukee Brewers)
Here is where things get a little more dicey. Even still, there are at least one or two guys from this list that will be closing at some point this season. That especially includes the last 3 names on this list. I don’t mind taking one of them as a lottery ticket towards the end of the draft.
82. Glenn Perkins (Minnesota Twins)
88. Sammy Solis (Washington Nationals)
91. JP Howell (Toronto Blue Jays)
97. Bryan Shaw (Cleveland Indians)
98. Dan Otero (Cleveland Indians)
Shot in the dark Tier. At this point, you are just taking fliers on players. Might as well go high ceiling over high floor now if your draft/league goes 100 RP’s deep. You’re also just as likely to end up dropping this player for a hot waiver pickup anyway so always aim for more towards upside this late.