(Photo by Nick Wosika/Icon Sportswire)
Every Friday I look at every projected two-start pitcher for the week ahead and detail my thoughts about rolling with them on your roster. There are four tiers: Definitely, Probably, Questionable, Bench. Definitely Start features starters that are no doubters for the week ahead followed by Probably Start with pitchers that look like good plays but may create a hesitation or two. Players labeled as Questionable are for deeper leagues or have one-of-two outings that should be skipped. Pitchers under Bench should be avoided despite their two starts in the week ahead.
Note: This article was written Friday morning, estimating probable starters through the week. These are subject to change. In addition, some leagues will have weeks stretching through the following weekend due to the All-Star Break.
Gerrit Cole (OAK, DET)
Jose Berrios (KCR, TBR)
Aaron Nola (@NYM, @MIA)
Clayton Kershaw (@SDP, LAA)
Trevor Bauer (CIN, NYY)
Justin Verlander (OAK, DET)
Eduardo Rodriguez (TEX, TOR)
- Pretty straightforward here will all arms inside the top 15…
- …except for Eduardo Rodriguez who has two great matchups lined up as he pitches for a winning team.
Mike Clevinger (CIN, NYY)
Zack Wheeler (PHI, WSH)
Kyle Hendricks (@SFG, @SDP)
Patrick Corbin (@COL, @ATL)
Jhoulys Chacin (@MIA, @PIT)
Garrett Richards (SEA, @LAD)
CC Sabathia (@BAL, @CLE)
- Mike Clevinger got pushed to Monday for an unknown reason, though it gives owners a decent two-start week. There is worry against the Yankees, but not enough to remove him from the second tier.
- Jholuys Chacin and Zack Wheeler each have weak opponents for their weeks, making them the prime two discount options for Week 15.
- Even though he’s facing the Mariners and Dodgers, I’d still roll with Garrett Richards after showing no signs of rusts during his DLH start against the Mariners Wednesday evening.
- A pair of tough outings await Patrick Corbin as he heads to Coors and Atlanta, but I’d still toss him out there even against tougher odds.
- Kyle Hendricks has been trending in the wrong direction, though starts against the Giants and Padres could still work in your favor.
- Normally I’d reserve CC Sabathia to the third tier, though he’s shown plenty of promise with a near 3.00 ERA this season due to elite contact rates. He deserves your love for the weekend ahead despite a trip to Cleveland.
Chase Anderson (@MIA, @PIT)
Jonathan Loaisiga (@BAL, @CLE)
Jose Urena (MIL, PHI)
Danny Duffy (@MIN, @CHW)
Sean Manaea (@HOU, @SFG)
Ivan Nova (WSH, MIL)
Joe Musgrove? (WSH, MIL)
- It’s unclear if Joe Musgrove is in fact returning in time for both starts, and if he is, there is some caution with DLH and the Brew Crew.
- Musgrove’s teammate Ivan Nova is far from an ideal play, but he’s still a little better than the rest of Tier 4.
- Jonathan Loaisiga has shown plenty of upside, though he may be in line for just one outing as he participates in Monday’s doubleheader.
- Both Jose Urena and Danny Duffy are far from ideal choices, but their smooth matchups make them considerations for deep leagues.
Erick Fedde (@PIT, @NYM)
Mike Minor (@BOS, @BAL)
Tyler Anderson (ARI, SEA)
Anthony Desclafani (@CLE, @STL)
Chris Bassitt (@HOU, @SFG)
Luis Perdomo (LAD, CHC)
Francisco Liriano (@TBR, @HOU)
Marco Estrada (@ATL, @BOS)
Andrew Cashner (NYY, TEX)
Mike Leake (@LAA, @COL)
Corey Oswalt (PHI, WSH)
Jeremy Hellickson (@PIT, @NYM)
Eric Lauer (LAD, CHC)
Matt Andriese (DET, @MIN)
Trevor Williams (WSH, MIL)
- I can see some people taking a shot on Mike Leake, Tyler Anderson, or Jeremy Hellickson, but they each have problems. Anderson plays two tough offenses in Coors, a start for Leake against the Angels isn’t enough to overcome the Rockies in Colorado, and Hellickson showcased how he’s not ready to take advantage of the Pirates and Mets after his shallacking against the Marlins Thursday night.
- Mike Minor was also considered, but a date with the Sawx is enough to say no.
What about me?
I was thinking the same thing! What about Andrew Suarez; He’s a stud! Love his game for the Giants, and look at his numbers over the last month. Just picked him up off waivers, and starting him all next week. Light it up Andrew!
I <3 you, Nick. =)
ESPN is projecting that Tanaka will come off the DL to start on Tuesday (@BAL), then follow up by taking Johnny Lasagna’s start on Sunday (@CLE). If true, with DLH, is this a “probably” or a “questionable”?