Welcome to this week’s Injury Report!
Ketel Marte – Hamstring Strain
Ketel Marte is back on the IL with another hamstring strain. I feel like every week, we talk about hamstring strains, and this one shouldn’t be different. If Marte allows the hamstring to heal, then we shouldn’t have any issues. But hamstrings are very tough to gauge, and the likelihood of re-injury remains high. We are looking at a month till Marte can return at the earliest.
Return Date: Mid July
Justin Upton – Back Strain
Justin Upton will miss the next couple of weeks with a low back strain. Not very worried about this one, Upton is getting up there in age, and these types of injuries will continue to pop up throughout the rest of his career. A couple of weeks of rest will do him some good, and he should return soon without this impacting his performance long-term.
Return Date: Mid July
Byron Buxton – Hand Fracture
When it seemed like Byron Buxton would avoid missing a large chunk of a season, he suffers a bad luck injury. Expect Buxton to be out till August with a left-hand fracture. I wouldn’t expect this to impact his performance once he returns, so I would be all over a trade an owner is looking to sell.
Return Date: Early/Mid August
Dinelson Lamet – Forearm Inflammation
Dinelson Lamet will be on the IL with forearm inflammation. With Lamet’s elbow injury history, I think it is time to add him to the “Avoid” list. I expect this to be something that lingers and hinders Lamet’s career moving forward, but to what extent? That will be what we have to wait and see on. Elbow and forearm issues have plagued him for the past couple of seasons, so I fully expect Lamet to be back on the IL with another elbow issue at some point during the season.
Return Date: Early August
- Stephen Strasburg has resumed throwing. He worked up to a 25 pitch bullpen over the weekend.
- Drew Pomeranz and Austin Nola are a few weeks away from going on a rehab assignment.
- Jean Segura should be activated Tuesday.
- Didi Gregorius should be activated off the IL in the next 2-3 weeks.
- Trevor Rosenthal should start a throwing program soon.
- Luis Severino should resume throwing off a mound in 5-10 days.
- Corey Kluber will not return till September at the earliest.
- Brandon Nimmo will not return till later this week at the earliest.
- Carlos Carrasco has resumed throwing off the mound.
- Corey Seager will not start his rehab assignment this week. He is still dealing with soreness and is still considered to be out indefinitely. Hopefully, we get an update in the next week with an updated timeline.
- Mike Trout was transferred to the 60 day-IL, keeping him on the shelf till at least the All-Star break.
- Alex Bregman will be out till at least the All-Star break.
- Nick Senzel will not begin his rehab assignment till after the All-Star break.
Thanks for reading! As always, if there is someone else you have a question about, leave me a comment or find me on Twitter (@JakeRobinsonDPT). I will get to them as I’m able to. Be sure to check back next week for the latest injury report!
Featured Image by Justin Paradis (@freshmeatcomm on Twitter).