Closing Time 6/11: Ranking the Top 30 Closers Every Tuesday
Light pink row designates Closer By Committee
- Wade Davis is back for the Rockies, and slots back in at number 17 on the list for the time being. I can see him moving up a few spots if all goes well, but I wouldn’t expect him to make it into the top 12 this season.
- In your weekly Red Sox closer update, Matt Barnes saw a pair of save chances this past week, but things did not go so well, as he allowed 5 hits and 3 earned runs in 1.2 IP. Despite entering the season as the team’s best reliever, the Sox have never seemed comfortable with Barnes in the 9th inning, so I wonder if his latest blown save may end that experiment. Brandon Workman and Heath Hembree have been the Sox best relievers of late, so I’d imagine one of them gets the next save chance. You could do worse than speculate on one of the two.
- Despite Craig Kimbrel signing with the Cubs, don’t forget about Pedro Strop for the next few weeks as Kimbrel gets ready to make his debut. Strop tied for the league lead in saves this past week with 3 and could have another 3-6 left in him before Kimbrel is ready. Once he arrives, Kimbrel should slot into the top 10 moving forward.
- The Twins continue to approach saves with the Blake Parker and Taylor Rogers committee, but you have to wonder if Rogers starts taking over the majority of chances with Parker faltering lately. Neither one has exactly done anything special to steal the job from the other, but Rogers to me is still the better long term play.
- Jose Leclerc was so close to getting his job back it seemed, but this weekend was definitely a step back, albeit a small one. Chris Woodward still is talking like Leclerc will get his job back soon, so I’m still holding on where I can, especially with how poorly Shawn Kelley has pitched this past month.
- There’s a chance Hunter Strickland could return to the Mariners by the end of this week, which would be a boost to a bullpen struggling to find any consistency. I still don’t think this is something I’d want to chase outside of deeper leagues, and I’d imagine he’ll be in the mid 20’s upon returning.