The trade deadline has passed and as always bullpens have gotten shaken up as a result. Let’s dive in and see where were stand.
TIER 1: Cream of the Crop – This group is the cream of the crop. Ample opportunity for holds, high K-rates and low ERA’s make these guys a must own in any Holds league.
1. Dellin Betances (Yankees)
2. Wade Davis (Royals)
3. Tony Watson (Pirates)
. Joe Smith (Angels)
5. Carter Capps (Marlins)
6. Pat Neshek (Astros)
7. Drew Storen (Nationals) UNRANKED
8. Sergio Romo (Giants) -1
TIER 2: Solid Performers – All excellent relievers, but whether it be their role or consistency, they aren’t quite on that elite level.
9. Kevin Siegrist (Cardinals)
10. Joaquin Benoit (Padres )
11. Kelvin Herrera (Royals)
12. Jim Johnson (Dodgers) UNRANKED
13. Joakim Soria (Pirates) UNRANKED
14. Kevin Jepsen (Twins) -1
15. Jared Hughes (Pirates) -3
16. Junichi Tazawa (Red Sox) -2
17. Tyler Clippard (Mets) UNRANKED
18. Justin Wilson (Yankees) -3
19. Jake McGee (Rays) -2
20. Zach Duke (White Sox) -2
There is some potential for holds from this group, however don’t bet the farm on them being among the league leaders.
22. Arquímedes Caminero (Pirates) -6
23. Pedro Strop (Cubs) -3
24. Will Smith (Brewers) -2
25. Darren O’Day (Orioles) -4
Moving On Up
– Drew Storen, now relegated to the 8th inning for Nationals after they acquired Jonathon Papelbon, should be an elite option for holds for the rest of the year. A nice 5.33 K/BB rate will also give you more value than just holds.
– Recently anointed the closer for the Braves, Jim Johnson is now being shipped to the Dodgers where he will settle in to the middle innings behind stud closer Kenley Jensen. Expect a top 15 performance for the remainder of the year.
– As if the Pirates pen wasn’t full enough, throw in Joakim Soria now and Clint Hurdle might struggle to get everyone an opportunity to pitch with the lead. That said, expect Soria to slot in with Tony Watson in the 7th and 8th innings, with Hughes and Caminero taking more of a hit in terms of opportunity.
– Tyler Clippard is in a state of flux right now. Just traded from Oakland, one would assume he would take over duties as a fireman, but Jeurys Familia’s recent struggle make it difficult to call. Either way one of these two figure to have an impact in the holds category for the Mets.
– As mentioned above, Arquímedes Caminero drops six spots due to the crowded situation in the Pirates pen.
Latest posts by Nick Pollack (see all)
- Zach Davies’ Fastball + The Nastiest Pitching GIFs From Monday’s Games - August 22, 2017
- Check The Mike - August 22, 2017
- The List 8/21: Ranking The Top 100 Starting Pitchers Every Monday - August 21, 2017